One Man's Peace

by Eric Baldino

Often in life we have to close one door before

we can open another. I discovered that one fateful summer evening, while

visiting a tiny hillside town in Southern Italy. I along with my two sisters

spent a week touring the many historical landmarks of Italy, sight-seeing took

up most of our time, but our primary goal was to find the hometown in which my

father was born and raised. Closure is

not what I was seeking, but its what I got.

My sisters and I were blessed

with the opportunity to grow up in a family that was rich in Italian tradition.

Our father moved to Cincinnati Ohio from Italy in the year 1947 at the age of

18. It was there that Dad met Mom, they married and had children, two girls and

boy. Although Dad eventually lived more years in the United States than he ever

lived in Italy, he never forgot his heritage. He was very proud of being

Italian, and he took great pleasure in sharing his Italian traditions with his

American family. I was 18 years old when

my father passed away. It had been 20

years since his passing, but in some ways it felt like only yesterday.

It was in the summer of 2007 that my sisters

and I decided on taking a trip to Italy.

We flew out of Cincinnati in the evening of July 14, 2007. It would be a

long flight, but on the bright side it was a direct flight to Rome and we could

sleep all night and wake up in a different country; however, we didn't sleep a

wink that night. Call it nerves or call it anticipation of what was to be, but

either way I spent the 8½ hours staring at the back of the head of an older

gentleman seated in front of me, who by the way appeared to sleep quite well

the entire flight. We arrived at the Leonardo da Vinci International Airport in

Rome mid-morning the following day. We stepped out of the air conditioned plane

and into the airport lobby, where we were greeted by a rush of hot air. I was

reminded of two disturbing thoughts, we were visiting Italy in the hottest

month of the year, and air-conditioners are not a high priority in Italy. Maybe

that's why the airline tickets were so cheap. Air-conditioning or not, we were determined

not to let this put a damper on our vacation. We managed to find our way to the

train station. We took the first train to downtown Rome, where we finally

checked into our hotel rooms, where we were able to get some much needed sleep

by means of a short cat nap.

We spent the next few days sight-seeing Rome. We would be awakened early

each morning by the sound of a thousand scooters rolling over cobble stoned

streets. It looked as if it was a race

from one stop light to the next; full throttle one minute and slamming on the

brakes the next. The men were dressed in suits and ties, and the ladies looked

just as elegant in their own business attire. There was hazy mist that hovered

over the busy streets, it was accompanied by a noxious odor not unlike that of sewage

and exhaust fumes. We always took advantage of the free continental breakfast

our hotel had to offer, it was simple and consisted of pastries and jam or

biscotti with a glass of fresh squeezed juice or coffee to drink. This would

hold us over until midday when we would sit outside a little deli and enjoy a

panini sandwich and a coke. Did you know a Soda in Italy is served with no ice?

I didn't. I was beginning to think that Italians are against all things cold.

Fortunately I was proved wrong in this assumption. It was a pleasant surprise

to discover that Rome has an ice cream stand on every other corner, "gelato" is

Italy's version of ice cream, it is not as sweet as American ice cream but when

you're dying of heat stroke it makes little difference. In the evening we would choose a different

outside diner, and there we would have a traditional Italian dinner such as

lasagna or spaghetti and a glass of wine. We viewed all the great sites such as

the Coliseum, Pantheon, Vatican, and the catacombs of Appian Way. I brought

with me some old black and white photos that my father had taken when he took a

trip to Rome back in the 1950s. My goal was to find some of the same places

where he had taken the photos, so that I too could stand in the very same spot

some sixty years later and have my photo taken also. I ended up finding several

of these locations. One particular place that comes to mind was at Saint

Peter's Square in front of the Vatican. I matched up exactly where dad had been

standing. I stood there myself as my sister took my picture. It was only after

I had taken a closer look at the background of Dad's old photograph that I

noticed the Pope was waving to the crowd from his apartment window.

Unfortunately I was unable to match that minor detail in my photograph.

After a few days in Rome all three of us were worn out; we were ready to

do some sight-seeing in a place where the pace of life is a little slower,

that place was Assisi, a small town in northern Italy that is famous for once

being home to Saint Francis, whom happens to be one of Italy's most famous saints.

The train ride was short, maybe two hours at most, during this time we took notice of the rolling hills

that were covered in olive trees and grape vineyards. It was absolutely beautiful,

like something out of a painting. In what seemed like no time at all we felt

the train slowing down, we had arrived in Assisi. The town looked majestic the

way it wrapped around the top of the hill. Overlooking the town on an even

higher peak was an enormous castle wall. I felt like we had just stepped back

in time hundreds of years. We spent the majority of the day walking up and down

the winding streets and exploring the churches that were built as memorials to

some of Saint Francis's most loyal followers. The most amazing site was the Cathedral

of Saint Francis. There we visited his tomb and paid our respects. Before we

left Assisi we once again had our now traditional lunch of panini and gelato,

then boarded the train to return to Rome.

The next day I spent a great deal of time researching railway maps at

the Roman train depot. I wanted to find the best train route that would take us

as close as we could possibly get to Castelfranco in Miscano, the tiny hillside

town in southern Italy where my father had been born. I finally settled on three round trip tickets

to the town of Monticalvo in Irpina; it appeared to be the closest train stop,

just five miles away from our final destination. I even prearranged for someone

to pick us up at the train station on our arrival so as to complete the final

few miles of our journey.

We left early in the morning on a train that headed deep into the territory of southern Italy.

At the time Italy was experiencing a drought

and a heat wave, so our view from the train allowed us to see many fields and

mountains that were consumed with brush fires.

Often there was a faint smell of smoke in the air. Occasionally hot

amber's would blow into the open windows of the train car and land in our laps.

Four hours later we arrived in Monticalvo. Only one other person exited the

train with my sisters and I, there was absolutely nothing around us but open

fields and a single room brick building that appeared to be at least a hundred

years old. We waited for what seemed like an eternity for our driver to pick us

up, but no one showed up, we all began to feel anxious and worry that our

driver forgot about us? We were five miles from finding our father's home town

and we may not even get to see it because we are stranded in the middle of a

field with no way of getting there.

We were running out of time, and had only a short window of opportunity to see

Castelfranco before we had to be back at the train station for our return trip

to Rome. There was no phone in the old building or even an attendant to assist

us. Luckily for us the one extra passenger who exited the train with us sensed

we had a problem, she was a young girl, maybe of college age, with very long

black straight hair, she spoke broken English

as she asked if we needed to use her cell phone. I quickly confirmed that we

did. I thanked her and carefully entered the numbers of the prepaid calling

card so that she wouldn't be stuck with a huge cell phone bill later. A short

while later our ride showed up and off we went.

Giuseppe was our driver, he spoke no English and we were unable to speak any Italian, but it is amazing how you can

manage to find a way to communicate when you need to. I do remember him

pointing at the temperature gauge on the dashboard of his car, it said 33

degrees Celsius. I had no idea what the conversion to Fahrenheit was at the

time, but I agreed that it was hot!

The ride was uphill the next few miles; the road wound around hills, all

you could see for miles was wheat fields. We rounded one last curve and there

it was, the town we had heard so many stories about growing up. It was a big

moment for my sisters and I both. There were no words spoken as we drove into

the town. I suspect my sisters were doing as I and imagining dad as a young

child running and playing on these very streets, not knowing the life that lies

ahead of him, waiting. Giuseppe parked the car and motioned for us to follow

him. We walked up a few streets and came to a house. The house was very small.

It was made of large grey stones held together by mortar. The stone at the foot

of the doorway had a large crack that extended across its entire length. I

reached into my pocket to retrieve the old photo taken by my father many years

ago. I noticed that the cracked stone was also present in his photo taken so

long ago. The distinguishing mark on the stone erased all doubt. This was the home where my father was born. This was

the same doorway that my father walked through many times the first 18 years of

his life, and the same doorway that he walked through one last time as he said

his good-byes to his family and friends when he left to start a new life in a

new country. It's hard for me to imagine the courage that it took to leave

everything and everyone he knew at such a young age for a place so far away and

so different.

Although we spent only a few

hours in my father's home town, those few hours were special. For the first

time in a very long time, I felt as if dad was near me, and maybe in some ways

he was. Four thousand miles from my home and many years after his passing, I

came to know in just a few hours the person my father once was. He was a man

with big dreams and the courage to go after those dreams; he cared for his

family in the best way he knew how, by being a good provider and a hard worker.

All the odds were against him, but he succeeded anyway. I left Italy with great

pride in my father, and with that peace entered my heart. I felt a sense of

closure almost as if Dad was looking down from above, smiling. Maybe all he

ever wanted was for me to be proud of him; that was something I was unable to

express in his living years. That door is now closed and another one open, I am

Eric Baldino, PROUD son of Pete Baldino.

Rate this submission


You must be logged in to rate submissions

Loading Comments